Wednesday, February 24, 2010

(Slightly Healthier) Chocolate Cake in Five Minutes

I promised a few posts ago to share my modified Cake in Five Minutes, so here we go! I found a link to the original recipe on a forum I frequented a while back. It was pretty tasty... but as an amateur baker, I can't be given a recipe and not modify it. Plus, it's VERY easy to make a few exchanges and remove a lot of calories.

* * *

(Slightly Healthier) Chocolate Cake in Five Minutes
4 tbsp flour (all-purpose or strong works fine, you could probably even use whole wheat!)
4 tbsp sugar (I usually use 50/50 white and soft dark brown, but you can easily use Splenda)
2 tbsp cocoa (Make sure it's UNSWEETENED)
1 egg
3 tbsp milk (I use 1% or 2%, or semi-skimmed... not sure if skimmed would work, but it's worth a try I suppose!)
3 tbsp applesauce/fruit puree (The original recipe calls for oil, but it's just for moisture, so this works just as well. Last time I used apple & strawberry puree, as I can't find applesauce here)

Chuck all the ingredients into a bowl (or a mug, as per the original recipe) and mix thoroughly. At this stage, you can add some nuts or dried fruit, if you like.

Stick it in the microwave for 3 minutes. (If made in a mug, let the cake settle and then tip it onto a plate or bowl).

Top with fresh fruit (like raspberries) or leave it as is. Enjoy!

* * *

The texture is a bit different than normal cake, because it's microwaved, but it's still pretty tasty. I bet it's possible to bake it in the oven though. Experimentation must be conducted!

No comments:

Post a Comment